Friday, February 11, 2011

Love letter #25: Joy in suffering?

Francis Chan at Catalyst West 2009                                         Image via WikipediaFrancis Chan, a popular Christian teacher and former pastor recently changed his position in the church from pastor to lay elder in order to pursue what he sees as a more biblical life style: live simply and give lavishly. He exalts commitment and devotion to making disciples, and is trying "100%" to follow the Bible.



In the video below, Pastors Mark Driscoll and Joshua Harris challenge his theology. Specifically Mark Driscoll challenges Francis Chan's devotion of "complete surrender of everything" an opposite of the false theology of the prosperity gospel. Driscoll believes that "poverty theology".

Chan challenges Driscoll's assessment of his actions: "The core issue has to be love.... I love these people, I want to help them.....I get excited about becoming a picture of Christ... I have the right to get the stuff that I want and enjoy it. But it's letting go of that, not holding on to that [that brings me joy].

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment