Friday, February 18, 2011

Love letter #30: I'm adopted

The divine essenceImage by Guðskraftur via FlickrToday I had the privileged of being with some great people. Some were great in position, others had really interesting life stories, others excelled in knowing what to say at the exact right time, still others had made a dream manifest. Standing/sitting/talking among them, I sometimes felt my shortcomings highlighted tremendously. All in all, I was humbled to be in their presence.

After further prayer and reflection with the group I was convicted that I should also be as humbled by the presence of God (duh!).  

The same men and women that I admired also showed the fruit of understanding the enormity and majesty of of God.  I have the privileged of calling these men and women my brothers and sisters in Christ. Many times I take for granted the cost of my adoption into this family. That adoption was out of love. Ephesians 1 says it like this:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he lovesIn him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. Ephesians 1:3-10

Father, let us be reminded of the power of our adoption.  Thank you for drawing sons and daughters after your own heart and reminding us of the eternal power of your love; a giving love that unifies. Amen.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment