Thursday, February 24, 2011

Love letter #35: I love you more than toilet paper

Toilet paperImage via WikipediaSo, we're almost out of toilet paper. "Too much information", you say? I'm going somewhere, trust me.....
Even though we're almost out (which is a minor emergency in my house) I can go to the store and buy more, even if I have to buy it on credit.

I get to choose how to fill this household necessity from many options:  one-ply, two-ply or quilted; in various stypes of packaging all with different claims of softness. I can even select t.p. made from recycled material if I have a little extra money and want to be green.

But there are many people who don't have the luxury of such options. The clip of the hospital in Zimbabwe (below) tells of a hospital that uses the instructions from the medicine bottles for toilet paper. I'm sure that brand would not sell well in the US. The hospital staff talks about how they barter with patients for treatment, literally giving care for peanuts (a local crop). "Whenever we really need it, God provides", one of the staff members tells the reporter.

Clearly, the work she is doing is not for the glory, and certainly not for the accomodations. But because she loves her patients and her work more than toilet paper. At the end, we know it is not without frustration, and clearly not without discomfort, but it is a sacrifice motivated from a heart of worship.

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love
if any common sharing in the Spirit, 
if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, 
having the same love
being one in spirit and of one mind. 
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. 
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.  Philippians 2:1-4

Lord, let us look at the things we think are necessities with new eyes to see them as blessings of luxury. Father, help us to love those you've called us to serve more than toilet paper, more than comfort, more than ourselves. Amen.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment